Seminole County Violent Crime Lawyer

Former Prosecutor Defending Your Rights

A violent crime conviction carries severe, long-lasting repercussions on your livelihood, career, and liberty. In Florida, a felony of the second degree can range up to 15-year sentence in prison; for a felony of the first degree, you risk being imprisoned for life (775.084). Without experienced legal guidance, a novice attorney may jeopardize your case and lead to an unnecessarily aggressive sentence.


At the Law Offices of Matthews R. Bark, our attorneys have 20+ years of combined experience in both prosecuting and defending against charges of homicide, kidnapping, burglary, gun offenses; assault/aggravated assault, battery and more. Our team is award-winning, top-rated and ready to defend your rights against any odds. Don’t let prosecution decide your fate; call us now for a complimentary, confidential consultation.

I've been charged for Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, what now?

There are numerous legal defenses available for you, including the Stand Your Ground Law in Florida. Wherein a person is justified in using deadly force if they're trying to prevent grave bodily harm or imminent death.

Charged with a violent crime?

Violent Crime Penalties in Florida

Below are some of the common violent crime penalties in Florida:


First Degree Murder – Statute 775.082 – is considered to be a capital felony. The state can pursue the death penalty or life in a state penitentiary.


• Second Degree Murder – Statute 782.04 -is commonly defined as either a 1st-degree felony, which is punishable by up to 30 years or life in prison. If considered as a 2nd-degree felony, then up to 15 years in prison may be sentenced.


Aggravated Assault – Statute 784.021 – 3rd-degree felony, which can result in a prison sentence of up to 5 years, and a fine no greater $5,000.


Felony battery – Statute 748.03 – 3rd-degree felony, a term of imprisonment of up to 5 years and a fine no greater than $5,000.


• Kidnapping – Statute 787.01 – Is a felony of the first degree punishable by a prison sentence of up to 30 years, and a fine no greater than $10,000. The kidnapping of a minor under 13 years old, is considered to be Aggravated Kidnapping and can result in a life prison sentence.

Can I represent myself in court?

Yes, you can, but more than likely this is never the best option. Even in minor cases where you may believe the penalty to be less severe, may result in more serious charges being pressed against you. It’s important also to consider collateral consequences, the repercussions a minor conviction can have on your livelihood and career. One of the crucial roles an attorney plays is being an advisor and counselor for your options and pointing out opportunities that wouldn’t be apparent to you otherwise.

I have a warrant out for my arrest - what to do?

1. Immediately consult with an attorney. There may be options available for you before turning yourself in. Often an attorney can issue a Motion to Recall, which if accepted by the judge, will result in your warrant being rescinded, pending on the situation, and court date re-scheduled.


2. Prepare for your bail bond to be posted. Contact friends and family and reach out to a bondsman to have a bond arranged before turning yourself in.

3. Turn yourself in – After consulting with an attorney, they will advise you on when is best to do so. Often on weekends, processing time is slower and can take longer to reach a commissioner.

Get a Free Violent Crime Case Review

If you or your loved ones have been accused of a violent crime, remember a criminal charge does not necessarily translate into a conviction. Your rights and liberty are on the line, don't hesitate to get the best defense for your case. We offer affordable payment plans and complimentary consultations to accommodate towards your budget and needs. Call us now at 407-865-8888.

Blog Posts

Helpful Links

The information found on The Law Offices of Matthews R. Bark is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any situation or individual case. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
© 2013 – 2023 All Rights Reserved.

Serving Seminole County & Orange County: Lake Mary, Maitland, Orlando, Sanford, Apopka


  999 Douglas Ave #3317, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714